This Blog is about my assignment here in Japan. I was asked to fill a job starting April 23 to June 30 in Shariki Japan. This is the longest I've ever been away from my family and as you will learn the location is extremely remote.

Wednesday, May 4, 2011

My First Drive on my Own!

This is my first email update, just adding to keep history:

On May 3, I successful managed to drive myself to work and explore out on my own.  Just down the road from our site location is the Takayamainari Shrine that I was told was a good one to visit.  This link gives you some info on the shrine, I was mostly alone looking around and climbing the very high stairs to each shrine.  I took some pictures and will get them uploaded later.


This is the map location:

I then decided to try my luck at navigation a bit ans went back home a new way then I had ever gone before.  I stayed on 225 east till I hit 12 then went east to Tomiyachicho, which is were the apartments are.  I realize the level of this adventure may be lost on you all, especially given my travel across the country rides.  Rest assure that when EVERY road sign is in Japanese letters, including the built in navigation system in the Subaru Forester, it is a bit unnerving to be out there faking the directions.  In many cases I was looking at rivers and lake areas to get an idea of my location.  

As I drove back I began to see sights and locations I recognized and my comfort and hope that I wouldn't have to call someone to tell them I was lost was fading.  I found a gas station, which since the tank was below 1/4 left was excellent timing, and from there I made it all the way back to the apartment!  In fact I was so happy with my driving for the day I even navigated the local village to a small store and bought my self a 6 pack of Sapporo Beer.

Back at the apartment I cracked open the beer and made myself 3 large burgers with bake beans and all the timings, it was a most excellent meal.  

No comments:

Post a Comment